Nia

Nia

~ Happy reading ~

Bet in the Dark ~ Rachel Higginson

Bet in the Dark - Rachel Higginson

First of all I have to admit Bet in the Dark got me hooked right after the start. Althoug I think Ellie is very naive I loved her way of seeing things. And Fin, oh my gosh. I would love to see him in real life because he was to good to be true - and here I am, on the negative side of this book.
At first Fin seemed to be a bad boy but this is more than wrong. He is sweet and caring, he takes responsibility for his beloved ones, he looks gorgoeus, wants to be a medic and is an athlete. Am I the only one who needs a flaw to accept such brialliance?
The sexual tension between Ellie and Fin was tangible from their first encounter. That was hot and fun to read. But it didn't go anywhere and that was kind of frustrating. Hot sex scenes are not a must-have in a NA book and I appreciate a lovely and sweet romance, too. However reading a whole book about the mc's wanting each other and you only get a hea sweet like frosting. No, I am disappointed right now.
Ellies family overprotected her her entire life and she is sick of it. She trys desperate to solve her problems alone and whith her ex-roommate put her into Fin's debt these become really huge. To save money she eats instant noodles all the time but refuse aid from her parents and brothers. She is nearly starving but lies to her family only to keep her complete independence. That was a bit extreme for my liking.
Also the overprotecting issues of Ellies brothers. Are they serious to check her cell phone regularly? That's a NO GO for everyone, especially people you trust. First it reads comical but after thinking about it I'm horror-stricken about the things these guys do in the name of love.
Last but not least the ending. I'm sure many people will swoon about it, because it was happy, happier, the happiest ending ever. It was an overkill for me. After so many problems I would have prefered least perfection.
I'm going to read another book by Rachel Higginson because I really liked her way of showing Ellie's thoughts and feelings. Hope, the next one isn't so overdone.