Nia

Nia

~ Happy reading ~

30-day book challenge: Day 1 - Best book you read last year

Last month I've just begun settling on BookLikes. Now I'm comfortable and am going to join my first book challenge. Hope, it'll be fun. Here we go:

A lot of last years' books were great, so this is a tough question. I couldn't decide at the end of last year and I can't now. But three books have had a lasting effect on me:

The Fault in our Stars  The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I love the story. It was sad and depressing, of course telling the love story of two teenagers with cancer, but also heartwarming, funny and so easy to read. I enjoyed the story in the story - one could feel the special atmosphere of Amsterdam (btw visit this lovely city, if you'll ever be around). I did cry and laugh at the same time while reading this. Not many books are able to make the reader do something like that. I know there are people out there who couldn't connect with Hazel or Augustus, others who missed the seriousness of the cancer topic, and a few who said, this is not fealing real. About an absent connection one couldn't do much. But I think by lost a young relative to lung cancer and working at the german cancer research center I'm able to judge about the last two topics. If you are seriously ill or related to one you should laugh as much as you can. Lifting the spirit during all those ugly treatments is worth more than anything else. And yes dealing with cancer is hard for everyone, the patient, the relatives, the friends, the doctors and nurses. Thus it's a gift to tell a story about it and don't get lost in grief, pathos and dispair. Instead this story is told with love, ease and deadpan humour. Well done Mr. Green.

The Help  The Help by Kathryn Stockett

A story about three strong women during the segregation (1960s). A story about toilets, idiocy and courage. Aibeleen's (52), Minny's (36) and Eugenia 'Skeeter's' (23) story about writing a story. They are all incredible and strong. Kathryn Stockett's writing is wonderful coloured and absorbing. No wonder, the author was born and raised in the south herself. If you haven't read her book yet, please give it a try.

A Biografie of Cancer  The Emperor of All Maladies - A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee

I'm sorry about the topic again but this books is gorgeous. I'm not the nonfiction type because at work is too much scientific stuff to read. Nonetheless I've read this one voluntary and during my spare time. The author, a medic specialised in oncology (treating patients with cancer), is gifted with words. Reading his book is breathtaking, interesting, curious, sad and humorous too. Yes it is also scientific but everyone with wits will understand Mr. Mukherjee. If you are not afraid of the topic and nonfiction, I could highly recommend this book.

Btw, the book has won the Pulitzer price in the non fiction categorie in 2011. If they are all as good as this, I should try more of them...