Nia

Nia

~ Happy reading ~

Day 2 - A book that you've read more than 3 times

Der Herr der Ringe - J.R.R. Tolkien Over The Edge  - Jonathan Kellerman Havenstar - Glenda Larke

Oh my. I'm a rereader so there are a lot of books I've read more than three times. How should I pick one? More than 3 it is, so 3 books:

The Lord of the Rings By J. R. R. Tolkien

I was 8 years old when I read The Lord of the Rings for the first time. Man, that was creepy then. Now I agree with my mum that I was too young for the story but I got on her nerves endlessly because I loved The Hobbit so much as a kid. Finally she gave in with the words: "Don't complain, if you get nightmares." And yes, I got horrible nightmares about the Nazgûl and their king, Sméagol, Kankra, Mordor, Sauron's Eye and the poison green cover of the German paperbacks (see above). But I fell unconditionally in love, too. With brave Frodo (of course), with Strider, Éowyn, Merry and Pippin and the whole world. With Tolkiens language(s) and his cards.

There has been a time when I've read the book annually. This honour is due to Harry Potter right now, but I'll read The Lord of the Rings over and over again, as I have nearly my whole life. I think my love for epic and high fantasy as seen in this book will be there until the day I die.

Over the Edge by Jonathan Kellerman

I don't read thrillers anymore because my imagination goes berserk since I've been a mom. But I read Over the Edge (in German) again and again as a teenager. It has inspired me to learn more about pharmacology, it's opened my mind to love between men (and between women too, although it's not the topic), it's showed me the abyss a mind could get lost in and what people, especially with kinship are able to do, and all about money. It's a complex story and in my opinion the best of the Alex Delaware series. I think I could be fearless if I read it again because I know it so well, it isn't frightening anymore.

Havenstar by Glenda Larke

Havenstar was first published under the Name Glenda Noramly, but the author changed back to her maiden name after a divorce. I'm just mentioning it, because I didn't know it for a long time and looked for new books of hers with the wrong name. Strange, I didn't find any for a long time^^.

I fell in love with Havenstars heroine Keris right from the start. She is smart but no beauty. She is talented as a card painter but that isn't allowed for women in her world. She falls in love with a doomed man and loves him even more for the choices he made. She is brave, passionate and a really good friend. I adore her for all this.
And the world she lives in. Malinawar. It's unbelievable with it's colours, it's untypical magic and such a complex mediaeval like society. I reread it regularly because it's one of the best books I know. In addition: it's a single fantasy book.