Nia

Nia

~ Happy reading ~

Day 3 - Your favourite series

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone  - J.K. Rowling Lying Season - Karina Halle The Dragonriders of Pern (Dragonriders of Pern, #1-3) - Anne McCaffrey

It's impossible to choose only one of my favourite series and still difficult to choose just three of them. I get procrastinate when books are involved^^.

Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling

Yes, I'm a huge fan. Not from the first day forth (1997/1998) but around 2002/2003 I got hooked. I like all books in diffrent ways and reread them regularly:

The first one has been unexpected funny and I love to dive into the magical world over and over again with Harry.

I love snakes so speaking with them seems to be a great gift although Harry would say something else after his experiences in the second book.

In the third book we meet Remus Lupin for the first time. He is one of my favourite characters. And sorry, although Sirius plays a major role for Harry he isn't a favourite of mine.

A Quidditch worldcup and the first triwizard tournament in ages. Does it need more to love the fourth book?

The fifth is a tough one with all those descriptions of the The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black, it's huge amount of pages and Harry's pubescent way of shouting in CAPITALS. But it has forced me to start reading in English seriously (for the first time since school) and this has been a big deal for me at that time.

The sixth set me on the wrong track for more than a year and I'm terribly sorry for having distrusted Severus Snape an iota.

And all comes to a good end after visiting every important place oncemore (or for the first time) in the seventh book. Kudos to Mrs. Rowling.

Experiment in Terror by Karine Halle

My blog fellow fell in love with Karina Halle's books and forced me to read them. It wasn't love at first sight with Perry and Dex and their internet ghost hunting show Experiment in Terror. I liked the first book but found it kind of slow (it's a series with nine books and a few novellas so the author isn't in a rush). In the second book Perry annoyed me a bit but her relationship with Dex seemed promising. The third was really creepy and the interaction between the MCs got hot. Then came Lying Season ... and I was in love and have been since then. Suddenly everything made sense and I was eager to continue reading. Right now I'm waiting for Ashes to Ashes, the eighth book of the series, to be published. It's announced for february 2014. The last one Dust to Dust should be coming in July 2014. I'm really looking forward to both of them. Thank you Karina Halle for beeing such a fast writer and thank you Nina too^^.

The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey

I love not only snakes, but dragons too. Believe me, there are some awesome dragons (and their riders) in this series. Golden coquettish queens, strong bronze males who could conquer a queen during pairing flight, brown and blue males who could battle and caputre the skittish little green female dragons. And one white dragon, Ruth, which is special and my all time favourite dragon in books containing dragons. Man, I had envyed Jaxom my whole teenage years for beeing in the right spot at the right time.

If you would ask me names about pern, I would know more dragon than human names for sure^^.

There are little playfully mini-dragons on pern too. In German they are called Feuerechsen which means fire lizard, but I'm not sure it's the right backward translation. (Feel free to give me a hint.)

Of course the series holds more than dragons. There is a complex world with politics, clashing interests and a serious threat whole pern can only defeat by working together. Which seems to be improbable when you start reading.
One last advice: After a bunch of published pern books Anne McCaffrey started writing some together with her son Todd McCaffrey. Please be aware that these books aren't as good as her own. And Todd's stand alones taking place on pern are - sorry to say that - horrible. So only pick real Anne McCaffreys'.