Nia

Nia

~ Happy reading ~

Day 24 - A book you wish more people would've read

The Lions of al-Rassan - Guy Gavriel Kay Sailing to Sarantium  - Guy Gavriel Kay The Summer Tree - Guy Gavriel Kay

Yes, Guy Gavriel Kay is definitely one of my all time favourite authors. I wish more people would read his amazing books who combine fantasy and interesting historical periods to something new.

I can't decide which of his books I like the most. So I'm presenting you my top three today:

The Lions of Al-Rassan

It's a story reclining the end of the Requoncista at the end of the 15th century (1492). When Christians reconquer the Iberian Peninsula from Muslims who had been ruling there for more than 600 years. Instead of Muslims, Jews and Christians you find religious pendants called Asharites (worship the stars), Kindaths (worship the sund and two moons) and Jaddites (worship only the sun). The story is as bloody and brutal as the real Requoncista had been. But it's also a story about people and their fate. How they treat each other and what consequenes an action could have. On top Kay is able to create some amazing characters and Jehane, Ammar and Rodrigo are a favourite trio of mine.

Sarantine Mosaik (contains Sailing to Sarantium and Lord of Emperors)

A fictive story about Byzanz and Constantine the Great. About east and west rome and mosaiks as well. Crispin the MC is a gruffy guy because the pest has stolen his wife and daughters. But he is master mosaicist, creating beautiful art with colored stones and glass too. When his older partner is summoned to Sarantium by imperial request he takes his place. And the fate of many people is going to change forever...
It's the same world but nearly 1.000 years before The Lions of Al-Rassan. It's really interesting to see the change of religions between one book and the other.

And I totally love the women in the Sarantine Mosaik. There are so many gorgeous and strong female characters here, like Gisele, Styliane, my favourites Shirin and Alexiana, and even Kasia.

The Fionavar Tapestry (contains The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire, The Darkest Road)

The Fionavar Tapestry is fantasy without a grand historical setting but with some historical characters. It's high fantasy and really 'Tolkienesk'.

FYI: Guy-Gavriel Kay helped Christopher Tolkien with his work on The Silmarillion (organizing and putting the many stories into an chronological order).

A lot of typical fantasy elements were aranged into a lovely and heartwrenching story. There are two scenes I cry or nearly cry every time I read the books. I have so many favourites here I better not name them. Perhaps you would get confused.

You see. I'm head over heels in love with Kays stories and I can recommend them to everyone who loves fantasy and some awesome charactes dealing with the big questions of life.